Christmas in the Garden is an award-winning event featuring a traditional Christmas Market and light display in the charming Rediscovery Forest each Thursday-Sunday, from November 28th to December 21st, 4pm to 9pm.
Upon arrival, you will enter the Garden and board the Holiday Express, where you will be whisked to the beautifully decorated Rediscovery Forest. Here, you can:
- enjoy a traditional German Christmas Market, where you can find the perfect holiday gifts from artisan vendors selling hand-made goods
- sip gluhwein and other adult holiday beverages
- listen to festive holiday music & carolers
- take in the smells and tastes of holiday foods
- warm up next to fire pits
- take photos with Santa, who will be visiting regularly
- walk among lit vignettes and through 300,000 Christmas lights in the forest, including a glowing, 9 foot tall Leg Lamp!
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for regular event updates and use #christmasinthegarden. In 2013, we welcomed 12,700 people to Christmas in the Garden from Salem, Portland, Eugene and beyond, and we look forward to seeing you at our second annual event!
We’re also proud to announce that Christmas in the Garden won the Ovation Award for Most Innovative Marketing Campaign from the Oregon Festivals & Events Association this spring!
- Nov. 29: Civil War Game Showing – we will project the game on our big screen, courtesy of Wave Broadband. If you come dressed in Duck or Beaver logo-ed apparel, you will receive $1 off admission.
- Nov. 30: A Christmas Carol play, at 6:30pm – this 2-person play is perfect for all ages and is performed by Traveling Lantern Theater Co., included with admission.
- Dec. 7: A Christmas Carol play, at 6:30pm – this 2-person play is perfect for all ages and is performed by Traveling Lantern Theater Co., included with admission.
- Dec. 12-14: Photos with Santa & Live Reindeer - you will get to meet live reindeer and take your photo with Santa! There will be no official photographer for Santa photos, parents can take their own at no cost.
- Dec. 13: Pony Rides – Canyonview Camp will provide pony rides for children free of charge, donations are gladly accepted.
- Dec. 21: A Christmas Carol play, at 6:30pm – this 2-person play is perfect for all ages and is performed by Traveling Lantern Theater Co., included with admission.
All activities are free & offered by nonprofit organizations – donations are gladly accepted.
- Nov. 28-30: Letters to Santa benefiting The Oregon Garden Foundation
- Dec. 4-7: Christmas Crafts benefiting Oregon Forest Resources Institute & Jr. Gardener’s Club
- Dec. 18-21: Story Time benefiting the Silver Falls Library
- $5 per person
- $4 for Garden Members (must show membership card)
- Free for children 4 & under
- Silverton residents receive $1 off admission each Thursday ($4 Silverton residents, $3 Silverton residents with Garden Membership – must show I.D. with Silverton address and membership card)
Each paid admission receives five $1 vouchers to be used at any booth in the market, including food and beverage. Vouchers may be used one per booth, per purchase, per person.
Pay admission during your first visit, and then return as many times as you’d like for free, for the duration of the event. Event admission is in lieu of regular Garden admission. Volunteer & receive free admission.
Christmas in the Garden Vendors
We will feature Oregon-based craft/handmade vendors of high quality. There will be 18 vendors on-site each weekend, including:
|American Western Impressions||Portland||fine art prints and originals, cut metal art|
|Art Glass by Dianne||Cornelius||kiln formed glass|
|Artisan Workshop||Portland||original silver jewelry designs inspired by the nature of the Northwest|
|Blue Eyed Creations||Portland||fused glass jewelry, ornaments & art|
|Brian Angell||Colton||metal tree and mountain figures|
|Burbeck's Jewelry||Eagle Creek||earrings, pins, necklaces, cuff links & ornaments|
|Charter Oak Farm||Ridgefield, WA||sedums with pots, paper, quilling & cards|
|Clearcreek Beadsmithy||Rhododendron||crocheted bracelets, baskets & earrings|
|Creative Carved Art||Springfield||hand-carved wooden santas, snowmen & animals|
|Designs by Christina||Portland||earrings, necklaces, cuffs & rings|
|Driving Me Nuts||Dayton||flavored nuts|
|Faron Evans||Kelso||metal pieces inspired by nature|
|Forgeress Ironworks||Washougal, WA||custom garden art, bird baths & hand-forged door pulls|
|Holly's Candles||Salem||tea cup candles & candle tins|
|Jaden Glassworks||Salem||glass-blown icicles, candy canes, ornaments, pendants, clocks and oil lamps|
|Just Dust Publishing||McMinnville||books written by local authors|
|Just for EWE!||Springfield||needle felted ornaments and holiday decor, wool and fleece scarves, needle felted tablet and laptop covers|
|Melavora Bakery||Corvallis||gift boxes of traditional German holiday cookies|
|Mimi's Cozy Creations||Silverton||dog coats & treats|
|Nuttopia||Sherwood||traditional Bavarian-style roasted nuts|
|Oregon Trail Quilts||St. Helens||quilts, purses, wall-hangings, aprons, potholders and jewelry for quilters|
|Purses with Personality||Sweet Home||purses, ornamental yard flowers & jewelry|
|Silver Suds||Stayton||handmade soaps|
|Stastny Stone Pots||Sheridan||concrete mosaic planters, birdbaths, mosaic wall art & basalt sculptures|
|Stonehill Acres||Salem||soy candles, handmade soaps & alpaca products|
|Sweet Oregon Rain||Dayton||kettle and caramel corn, chocolate bark & wine and vodka slush mixes|
|The Eclectic Homestead||Battle Ground, WA||jewelry, painted vases & sedum planters|
|The Happy Undead Friends||Silverton||children's books, cards & gift bags|
|The Meadow of Lavender||Colton||lavender themed bath and body products, culinary items, dried bouquets, home decor & sewn items|
|The Soothe Chef||Salem||whipped body frosting, exfoliating scrubs, lip balms & soaking salts|
|The Tippin Tea Cup||Scotts Mills||tea, tea cups, tea pots & tea infusers|
|Vagabond Sundries||Troutdale||hand-knit scarves and hats, beaded snowflakes, goat milk soaps & lotions|
|Wasser Family Trees||Silverton||hand-crafted reindeer figurines|
|Women Wine and Words||Washougal, WA||hand-painted signs, greeting cards, magnets, wine bottle tags & drink tags|
Vendor spaces are sold out for 2014. To be added to the waiting list, in case spaces open up, please fill out our Wait List Application.
We will feature live performances each evening. The performers will begin in the Discovery Pavilion, and then will roam throughout the event.
|Saturday||Nov. 29||6:30pm||Crossing Blue|
|Sunday||Nov. 30||5pm||Crossing Blue|
|Thursday||Dec. 4||5pm||Mele Ukulele Strummers|
|Friday||Dec. 5||6:30pm||Salem Community Chorus|
|Steve & Melodye
Molalla Community Choir
|Sunday||Dec. 7||5pm||Crossing Blue|
|Friday||Dec. 12||6:30pm||Festival Chorale|
|Three of Hearts
|Sunday||Dec. 14||5pm||Crossing Blue|
|Thursday||Dec. 18||5pm||Steve & Melodye|
|McKay High School Choir
McKay High School Choir
|McKay High School Choir
|Sunday||Dec. 21||5pm||Crossing Blue|
We are currently seeking musicians and musical groups to perform at the event. This would preferably be a roaming performance; however, we may be able to accommodate stationary choirs. If interested, please email Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outdoor Event & ADA
This is an outdoor event, please dress accordingly. There will be covered seating areas, heaters and fire pits placed throughout the event. The event takes place in the Rediscovery Forest, which has a short paved path and various gravel paths. The event is ADA accessible, but some of the paths may not be ideal for folks with limited mobility.
Food & Beverages
Indulge in gluhwein, a traditional hot spiced wine, as you walk through the lights. Hot cocoa, coffee, hot spiced cider, hot buttered rum, spirits and water will also be available.
Traditional German foods will include: fondue with apples, bread and sausage; soft pretzels with fondue; sausage with sauerkraut; tamales; German potato salad; hot dogs for kids and bread pudding.
The Oregon Garden Resort is offering a special overnight package during Christmas in the Garden. The package starts at $99 on weeknights, $119 on weekends for two people, and includes:
- two tickets to Christmas in the Garden
- two beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) served in a commemorative mug
- continental breakfast buffet
- admission to The Oregon Garden
To book the package, visit the Oregon Garden Resort website.