Art in the Garden, presented by Capitol Subaru, features outdoor art installations.
Thank you for joining us for Art in the Garden! Hope to see you next year in the summer of 2016!
David Hillesland is a self-taught, professionally apprenticed sculptor. He is dedicated to excellence in craftsmanship and constantly striving to learn from his last creation. He finds beauty in the rough forms that lie within each piece of wood and takes great satisfaction in refining the natural elements of the wood, seeking the form that lies within. See more of his work on his website, or learn more about David from KATU and The Register Guard.
Chainsaw Carving Workshops with David
David will teach chainsaw carving workshops at the Garden on July 18, 2015. All materials will be provided, and you will leave with a sculpture of your very own. Register here. Two options allow you to pick the level of experience you would like:
- Option 1: Basic Chainsaw Scuplting, 9am to noon, $150
- Learn the basics of sculpting with a chainsaw, including how to use the tools, set up a work space, envision a design and begin carving. You’ll leave with a tree relief that you sculpted yourself. All materials provided, participants are asked to bring their own safety goggles and gloves, and to dress appropriately.
- Option 2: Beyond Basic Chainsaw Sculpting, 9am to 4pm (with one hour lunch break), $300
- Start in the Basic Chainsaw Sculpting workshop to become familiar with the tools and create a tree relief. After lunch, delve deeper into the art and create a Chinook or wind spirit. You’ll leave with two sculptures and a new skill. All materials provided, participants are asked to bring their own safety goggles and gloves, and to dress appropriately.
Tyler Brumfield is an artist born and raised in the Willamette Valley. He studied sculpture and graphic design at Western Oregon University. His primary medium is wood, because of its versatility in use, its natural beauty and its abundance in supply. He seeks to pair well-designed art with conceptual context, relatable to all. See more of his work on his website.
2016 Call to Artists
Interested in featuring your art in the Garden? Submit an Artist Proposal by 5pm on September 30, 2015 to be considered for the 2016 show.
Read our 2016 Call to Artists document for more information and directions for submitting an Artist Proposal.
Art in the Garden Opening Reception
Friday, July 10, 2015
7 to 10pm
The featured artists will give talks about their installations and inspiration, while guests enjoy live music and wine tasting. Guests will enter through the Visitor Center between 7pm and 8pm.
Tickets include artist talks, live music, light appetizers and wine tasting in the Bosque.
- $15 General Admission
- Free Garden Members (Please claim your free ticket online)
During the reception, featured artists David, Tyler and Paul will give talks at their installation sites from 7pm-8:30pm. After 8:30pm, the artists will return to the Bosque, where they will be available to talk with guests.
HERTrio will play throughout the evening.
Are you a musician interested in playing future events? Please fill out our Musician Inquiry Form.
Thank You Sponsors!
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, contact Brittney at firstname.lastname@example.org.